WE-Hope and Digital Democracies have announced a Call-Out for Artists to use testimonials collected from survivors of conflict to create an interactive digital animation.
The commissioned work will be premiered at this year’s festival in October.
The successful commission will be part of a European-funded project to update the ancient visual storytelling notion of the Cantastoria.
Having completed the first stage of the project to build a digital archive hosting the stories, WE-Hope and their UK partner Digital Democracies are now seeking proposals to use digital technology to share them.
Ideally, the piece will be generative and able to be influenced by audiences experiencing the work either online or in public space.
The final animation will be presented alongside a live choral performance of a new composition inspired by the testimony commissioned for the project.
Artist(s) are invited to apply with ideas that:
- Respond to the themes and impetus of the overall WE-Hope project and Digital Democracies (see full briefing doc below)
- Can be presented both physically (for example on a screen or as an installation) and digitally (either as an animation, film, or social interaction) through online platforms.
- Interactive: Has the scope to be influenced by input from public audiences responding to the work.
- Is able to tour: Through Digital Democracies there is an option for simultaneous showings in Lincoln and Brighton as well as future presentations through WE-Hope’s international network.
- Is able to be developed and presented within COVID-secure guidelines making allowances for possible on-going social distancing in October.
- Is relevant to our audiences and considering diversity and accessibility in order to be as inclusive as possible
- Is in keeping with the values of Digital Democracies, Creative Europe and WE-Hope (see further information)
Applications will be considered for both full projects and prototypes, although the project must be able to be tested with audiences.
The budget for the project is 8000 Euros (inc VAT) to include all fees, equipment and materials. Additional budget can be made available to support the showing of work in two locations. It is anticipated that the majority of the work will be completed online but travel will be negotiated outside of this budget.
How To Apply:
Send applications to: email@example.com
Deadline: 5pm, Monday 5th July.
Applications should include:
- Creative Proposal highlighting the creative idea and addressing the requirements in the brief (max 3000 characters/ one A4 page)
- Examples of previous work and/or CV or portfolio (max 10MB)
- Outline budget showing initial estimates of artistic and technical fees, materials, estimated hires and purchases and other costs (transport, insurance etc)
- Contact Information (name, email, phone, website and home address)
- An image to support idea or experience (max 5MB) – optional
If you have any access issues and would like this information in an alternative format or discuss alternative means of applying (for example by video) then please make contact with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any access requirements and would like this information in an alternative format or would like to discuss alternative means of applying (for example by video) then please make contact with us at email@example.com
Find Out More:
DOWNLOAD THE FULL CALL-OUT DOCUMENT HERE:
- ARTIST CALL-OUT: WE-Hope-Digital Democracies (WORD)
- ARTIST CALL-OUT: WE-Hope-Digital Democracies (PDF)
WE-Hope is a partnership project that addresses the challenges of social cohesion/inclusion across Europe, and the stresses that are resulting from anxiety about ‘others’ and social fracturing, as witnessed in the Brexit vote in 2016 and the re-emergence of far-right parties.
WE-Hope is Co-financed by the Creative Europe Programme of the European Union. The content of this document represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility. The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for the use that may be made of the information it contains.